Ashtons Removals can assist you to obtain insurance to protect your goods while they are in transit or storage. This is because we are an authorised representative of Cowden (VIC) Pty Ltd (AFSL 245658), a licensed insurance broker.
How we can help with your insurance
At the bottom of this page you will find links to our Financial Services Guide (FSG) and Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).
To assist you in deciding if you’d like to organise insurance in transit and/or storage to protect your goods whilst they are being moved, we recommended that you read this information carefully. You should read the PDS to decide if the policy suits your needs, objectives and financial situation before you decide what insurance arrangements you require.
Should you have any queries regarding your options for insurance in transit and/or storage, then please do not hesitate to contact our office on 07 5527 9700 or via email to email@example.com.
Why should I take out insurance?
Regardless of any contractual rights you may have against us, there are many circumstances where we will not be liable to make good for any loss or damage to your goods. For example, where the goods are damaged as a result of an accident that is not our fault.
Customer Goods in Transit and Storage Insurance can assist to fill this gap.
Full Cover insures you for many risks of loss or damage to your goods during transit from any external cause, including accidental damage.
Restricted Cover only provides coverage for accidental loss or damage which occurs as a result of:
- Fire, explosion, lightning or flood;
- Overturning, jackknifing and/or derailment of conveyance;
- Collision of vessel, aircraft or conveyance;
- Crashing or forced landing of any aircraft;
- Stranding, sinking, or contact of vessel with any external object other than water;
- Entry of water into any vessel, hold, container liftvan or place of storage;
- Discharge of goods at a port of distress;
- Jettison of goods from a vessel; or
- Theft, Pilferage or Non delivery of an entire package or item.
Australia Wide Storage Only Cover
Australia Wide Storage Only Cover insures loss or damage during storage in Australia, resulting from:
- Fire, lightning;
- Storm and tempest, flood, water from fixed pipes or systems;
- Riots, strikes and civil commotion;
- Explosion and impact damage; or
- Burglary – Limited to $25,000 per customer.
Basis of Settlement
You can choose whether your goods are insured on a “Replacement Cost” basis or for “Market Value”.
If your goods are damaged, the reasonable cost of repair will be covered for an accepted claim regardless of which Basis of Settlement you have elected. If your goods are lost or totally destroyed:
- Under the Replacement Cost basis, you receive the new replacement cost up to the maximum of the specifically declared item value nominated on the Insurance Declaration but in no case will the value exceed the current market replacement value.
- Under the Market Value basis, you receive the replacement cost less a reasonable allowance for age, condition, wear, tear and depreciation.
The correct Basis of Settlement selection is vital as an incorrect selection may possibly leave you without sufficient funds to cover your loss.
Schedule of Rates
Following are our schedules of rates for the different insurance options we have available. All domestic insurances attract GST of 10%, and the rates shown are inclusive of GST. Overseas insurance in transit is GST free.
If you’d like full cover insurance on selected items, then complete the Specified Items Insurance Declaration for each item you’d like insured.
Following are the rates for specified items full cover insurance:
|Destination||Specified Items Full Cover Insurance|
|Under 200 km within Australia||$15.00 per $1,000 Cover|
|Over 200 km within Australia||$25.00 per $1,000 Cover|
|Overseas||$35.00 per $1,000 Cover|
|Storage||$0.60 per $1,000 Cover per week|
If you’d like to insure your items as a lump sum, then complete the Lump Sum Insurance Declaration. Please note lump sum full cover insurance is not available on overseas removals.
You will need to declare any valuable items over the value of $1,000.00 and then all remaining items you’d like insured as a total under the heading ‘All Other Goods’. Please note, televisions and refrigerators etc., are not considered a valuable item.
Valuable items are classed as: any antique, curio, piece of jewellery, plate, precious object, work of art, fine art, medal, money, coin, stamp, collection of items, fur, piece of precision equipment or professionally packed carton by the removal company whose value exceeds $1,000.
Following are the rates for lump sum full cover insurance:
|Destination||Lump Sum Full Cover Insurance||Restricted Cover Insurance|
|Under 200 km within Australia||$10.00 per $1,000 Cover||$5.00 per $1,000 Cover|
|Over 200 km within Australia||$18.00 per $1,000 Cover||$10.00 per $1,000 Cover|
|Overseas||NOT AVAILABLE||$25.00 per $1,000 Cover|
|Storage||$0.60 per $1,000 Cover per week|
In the event of an insurance claim, the following excesses apply:
- Specified Items Full Cover, Restricted Cover and Australia Wide Storage Only = $200.00
- Lump Sum Full Cover = $300.00